Thursday 6 August 2009

A brace of Deaux Chevaux.





Fumbling around in the fields and farms that lurk slightly to the southeast of the Millau suspension bridge last week, I was trying to find the perfect spot for a photograph of Norman Foster’s masterpiece, when I stumbled across two of Andre Citroen’s masterpieces from five decades ago. Hard to believe that such barn finds still exist, but there before me on 27th July 2009 were an early 1950’s 2CV and a late 50’s - early 60’s example, ripe and ready to be discovered by some maniac who likes these things. I’ve owned two. Both endless trouble so you can keep ‘em for me. No. I didn’t ask the farmer if they were up for grabs. He never showed his visage, and no, I didn’t poke about underneath to see just how rotten they were. Google maps is lagging behind a bit as they don’t show the completed bridge, but I have marked with a bold 20 point arrow exactly where the barn is in the village of Issis. Good luck you brave enthusiasts. May the best man win!

3 comments:

Affer said...

If that's all there was, I'm glad I didn't make it. *sob*

Peter Ashley said...

What a fabulous find Toby. I wouldn't remove them, just stay in there a week singing Jacques Brel songs and smoking Gauloises.

Jon Dudley said...

What a find! I know what you mean, hopeless and heart breaking in so many ways - charming and ground breaking in others. I still fall for those corrugated iron looks and hammock seats though. Can't you find a couple of Bugattis maybe? There's a fab book 'Memoirs of a Bugatti Hunter' by Antoine Raffaelli whch lists just such discoveries throughout 50's and 60's France.