Thursday 18 December 2008

Red tape.

I’m going to hijack my own blog to bring live coverage of this years folly to Libya. There are a few dust filled internet cafes in Libya and if I can get to them it should work. The trip involves my Land Rover, so there is a vague Jeep link.



On Monday, I went to ‘dat’ London. I had to go, to present myself, in person, at The Libyan Embassy, the only shabby building in Knightsbridge, to apply for a visa. This is a change to previous years when it was all done by remote control. In a tit for tat retaliation against our own immigration, who make it very difficult for any Libyan to enter Britain, the Libyan’s have made it pretty tricky for us. 12 of our team of Geographers and Archaeologists pitched up at 9.30 to start the process. Each application had to be accompanied by air, or ferry tickets, a bank statement, and an invitation from Libya. Then our application would be considered. In-Sh-Allah we may get the passports back in about ten days. My ticket proved I was sailing from Marseilles to Tunis on 30th December, but this was accepted in a marvellous piece of North African logic. We then were led, one by one, into a back room to have our fingerprints scanned to add ‘biometric details’ to our passports. Whilst there we picked up the passports of those members of the group who had been through the same procedure two weeks ago. No sign of any ‘biometric details’ in their passports. The whole lot will be filled away on a CD somewhere and left on a London Bus.

3 comments:

Affer said...

I have a feeling that their isolation from our oh-so-clever Western capitalist practices will have left Libya in a somewhat stronger position than the UK, so look forward to your reports. Please sign them off in proper BBC-approved style: "This is Toby Savage, 1943 Jeep Rebuild, Tripoli."

Peter Ashley said...

Good luck Toby. Pity you can't take the Jeep, the Libyans'd love that. Bring back all sorts of memories I shouldn't wonder.

Jon Dudley said...

I should think there'll be a mountain of used spares awaiting your arrival. My dad left a 'liberated' German Kettenkrad there sans the only wheel - have a butchers for it will you?