Wednesday 26 November 2008

DVLA Dealings.



The process of registering the Jeep has now taken two months. Firstly I had to join the Military Vehicle Trust (£30), then they sent a chap to verify the age of the Jeep, which I know to be 1943. (His travel expenses £45). Then I had to swap my old Land Rover insurance cover over to the Jeep. (£20). Finally, today, armed with; The Californian log book, the importation document, the M.O.T., the insurance cover note, the MVT Age verification, two forms of identification and the Vehicle Licence Application Form V55/5, I drove to the nearest DVLA office, Nottingham! I was expecting a wait of about half an hour following a tip off from my mate, ‘Wet Paint’ Tony, so took a flask of coffee and the Daily Telegraph. I took a seat in a waiting room with about 5 other people and was called to the desk within about 3 minutes. Things were looking good. I was seen by Phil, a man of a certain age, who looked like he still lived with his Mum and had an unhealthy interest in train sets. Within ten minutes I was back in the car heading for Leicester. Job done. Within 72 hours I should have an allocated registration number and a zero rated tax disk. What could possibly go wrong?

15 comments:

Toby Savage said...

Forgot to mention it was a further £25 to register it! Not that I'm bitter.

Toby Savage said...

No. Sorry. Being distracted. It was £55!

Peter Ashley said...

I'd have just abandoned driving it about on roads and just taken off across the fields. But well done, what an incredible journey we have all witnessed. Drive it through a hedge in the Normandy Bocage, and break a bottle of Pol Roger over the bonnet.

Affer said...

I think the only thing that can go wrong is if you insist on the registration K144HUN

Toby Savage said...

Hahah! Yes. We shall see. I'm flattered you have enjoyed the progress and lived through it with me. I hope to pick it up this weekend, or early next week. Best to wait until the weather is REALLY foul. That way I shall have to be extracted from in upon arrival.

Toby Savage said...

Hahah! Yes. We shall see. I'm flattered you have enjoyed the progress and lived through it with me. I hope to pick it up this weekend, or early next week. Best to wait until the weather is REALLY foul. That way I shall have to be extracted from in upon arrival.

Affer said...

Bravo Toby!

Affer said...

Bravo Toby!

Fred Fibonacci said...

Bravo Toby! (this is catching)

Toby Savage said...

Actually. It should be Bravo Matt and Barry as it was they who figured out where all the bits went and did such a fine job of building it. Bravo Matt and Barry!

Affer said...

Bravo Matt and Barry!

Affer said...

Bravo Matt and Barry!

Ron Combo said...

Bravi everyone! (You have to use the plural when it's more than one person.) Sorry. I'll be getting me coat then.

Fred Fibonacci said...

Bravarum Matt and Barry, because I'm late.

Affer said...

I've been watching the excellent 'Band of Brothers' again; I hope you are bashing the Jeep around in the snow drifts this week, reprising the Battle of Bastogne! (or will I get the great McAuliffe response? haha!)