Thursday 30 October 2008

Torque to me.



A billion lbs. feet of torque here, generated by this is one, of four, steam engines that pumped Leicester’s sewage from the city up to Beaumont Leys from about 1860 until it was no longer big enough to serve the city in 1964. This week I was privileged to get the full lantern lit tour, even right down into the basement, surprisingly free of odour. There is something irresistible about the slow, rhythmic, almost sexual, movement and hissing of these great engines that has a lasting schoolboy appeal. It looks so powerful that if one were to shove a tree trunk in the gears and stop it, the World would probably spin off its axis.

5 comments:

Toby Savage said...

A F-A! You left a classic comment this morning. I won't let on to the others it's content. I bunged this up on my Queen's Rd Blog in a drunken moment last night, then felt, in the cold light of day, it was more a Jeep Blog story, being about engines. Hence, your comment has been lost in Hyper Space. Sorry!

Affer said...

Well here we go again then:

"Ah um titty-bum, titty-bum, titty-bum,
An engineer told me before he died,
Ah um, titty-bum, titty-bum, titty-bum,
How his girl was never satisfied,
Ah um, titty-bum etc etc...."

Lord Ashley will be along soon to lead the singing more melodiously than I....

Toby Savage said...

Or maybe his rendition of Eskimo Nell, that other sixties classic!

Peter Ashley said...

I don't know what you're both torquing about I'm sure. But my Middle Son (eleven) has taken to singing a very rude song about Hitler and his lack of testicular equipment to the tune of Colonel Bogie. Loudly. But what I really came here to say was what a lovely bit of film. I had to go and take a cold shower.

Fred Fibonacci said...

For goodness' sake chaps; it's a steam engine, not an Italian Cabinet Minister. Lovely engine nonetheless, and great sounds too.