Sunday 2 September 2007

Collecting the Jeep





I have always had an unhealthy fascination with 4x4 vehicles. I bought my first Land Rover aged 19, a 1948 model, which I still have today, in good running order. A 1970 Carawagon followed 10 years ago which, in extensively modified form, I have travelled North Africa in. Now it is time to get the granddaddy of them all. A war time Jeep. Mousing around on ebay and millweb I soon realised they were pretty expensive and that unrestored examples were rare. Particular war time ones. Despite manufacturing half a million, most seem to have either been blown up, or destroyed by nature over the last 60 years. As a last resort I tried some old Landy contacts, AMD Four Wheel Drive, here in Leicestershire. They had one that suited my needs perfectly at a reasonable £3500. It didn't run and had been imported from sunny California. A deal was struck and I collected it from the barn of the 'A' in AMD' who expressed a strong desire for his photo not to appear on any web site. So that's him looking like George Clooney! I then trailered the Jeep up to Matt's place in Matlock, where we gave it a good look over and planned a restoration. Follow it on this blog over the coming months and if you happen to have a set of original wheels I would be VERY happy to hear from you. Likewise any other hints and tips. many thanks. Toby

3 comments:

Peter Ashley said...

I can't tell you how jealous I am. All I've got to go around in is a T reg. Mondeo with the CV joints buggered.

Ron Combo said...

As you have an unhealthy fascination with 4x4 vehicles, what price my Panda 4x4 (1989 vintage)? It's got a tow bar and a number plate for the trailer (but no trailer). I expect you could fit a gun mounting on the roof if you want to carry on with this military riff.

Toby Savage said...

Thanks Ron. We'll discuss over a large Grappa next month......